Skip to main content

Poem - The Pub On That Essex Road

The Pub on that Essex Road

By Lydia Terry


There's a pub down an Essex road. 
The neighbours hate, but it's the punters abode. 
Bar maids with love and jokes to share.
With loving punter's but'll push it as far as they dare. 
A pub that if you go in, your tied to it for life.
No matter the day, the anger or the strife. 

There's a pub on an Essex Street. 
Where swearing and cursing you'll meet. 
Some walks ins will be disgusted and never come back.
But in this pub jokes are no personal attack. 
You'll rarely not hear people laughing and singing. 
Welcome in, smiles everyone is bringing. 

There's a marine, a scaffolder and a fisherman.
Three different folks, but in this pub no one gives a damn. 
Doors always open, a smile always waiting. 
A happy atmosphere, that's elevating.
There's a roofer, a architect and a bookie.
Leave a horse racing master, come in a rookie. 
They'll complain about music type, too quiet, too loud
I say from experience weirdly this pub makes me proud.

A retired man, an engineer, and a guy in between work. 
Some days this pub is calm, some days it's berserk. 
For many this pub is a one stop shop in their story. 
But the regulars show this pub in it's glory. 

They talk visits to Southend 
Or that pub that used to be on the bend. 
Days when it's rammed, and days when there's only a few. 
Days that are stressful, and days with nothing to do. 

This little pub down a residential street.
It's faces like mine you may meet. 
My home for 9 months, my life for that time. 
The idea of leaving blows my mind. 

However, this little pub is a chapter I must close. 
This little pub where my confidence rose. 
The pub will remain forever, even though I move on. 
However, this pub will always be a place I belong. 

That next chapter begins, and it's going to be a wild ride. 
But every so often this pub, I may pop inside. 
Thank you for helping me grow up and become me. 
This little pub, home will it always be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theatre Review 1: Murder Ballad

Murder Ballad Date: Saturday 29th October 2016 Cast and Character: Ramin Karimloo as Tom                                  Kerry Ellis as Sara                                  Norman Bowman as Michael                                  Victoria Hamilton-Barritt Rating: 9.5/10 This my first theatre review and if you know I am a huge theatre fan so I'm surprised I haven't done one of these before. As with my book reviews I will be completely honest. As by the rating you can see I completely enjoyed my night at the Arts Theatre.  I went to see it knowing very little about it which is strange because usually when I go I like to do some research. However, I did the see performance that the cast put on at West End L...

Book Review: Two, Pictures of Lily

Book Review: Two A few months later and I have another book to review. So here we go! Book Review: Two Name: Pictures of Lily Author: Paige Toon Month Read: August  Rating: 8.5/10 Pictures of Lily by Paige Toon I ordered this book with four other books with the intention of reading them on Holiday because I was travelling Italy but I felt the need to read it straight away. I finished the book in 3 days. The ratings lower than my last one because I feel like some of the information in the book is pointless but I still loved this book I just prefer the other one but lets get into it! I love the fact the book begins with present but only one paragraph and then does the "10 years later". you immediately love the characters and can relate to them whether you know someone like them or if your like them. Like I said in my last review there's for types of characters that helps a book succeeded.The ones you love, the ones you hate, the ones you love to...

Book Review: One, The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me

Book Review: One I have decided to start doing book reviews as I would love to get back into reading again because as a kid I never could put a book down. Slowly as I started secondary school I began to think reading was "stupid" but I still love reading but I just don't read. I would like this to be a motivation to start reading again. Book Review Number One Name: The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me Author: Lucy Robinson Month Read: May Rating: 9/10 The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me by Lucy Robinson I ordered this book back before my holiday to Portugal in May it arrived a week before I was to leave. I was so excited to read it after reading the synopsis on Amazon that I couldn't wait a week to start reading it so I started immediately, I couldn't put the book down but I had to because otherwise I would of had nothing to read on holiday.  I arrived in Portugal and being the unsociable teenager I am was devastated to find out I...