Skip to main content

Book Review: One, The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me

Book Review: One


I have decided to start doing book reviews as I would love to get back into reading again because as a kid I never could put a book down. Slowly as I started secondary school I began to think reading was "stupid" but I still love reading but I just don't read. I would like this to be a motivation to start reading again.

Book Review Number One

Name: The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me

Author: Lucy Robinson

Month Read: May

Rating: 9/10


The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me by Lucy Robinson


I ordered this book back before my holiday to Portugal in May it arrived a week before I was to leave. I was so excited to read it after reading the synopsis on Amazon that I couldn't wait a week to start reading it so I started immediately, I couldn't put the book down but I had to because otherwise I would of had nothing to read on holiday. 

I arrived in Portugal and being the unsociable teenager I am was devastated to find out I had no service at all. None! This turned out to be the case the whole week. However this was really helpful. I know I can't believe I said that as well! I grabbed the book and started where I left off in the book. 

It took me a while to realise why the book was set out the way it was. When I realised I loved the idea. I never had read a book like it and loved to constant change between past and present. This was a book right up my alley love, New York, Performing Arts. 

I had visited New York a year before and fell in love with the city and the fact this book was set in a city I loved made me so happy. I find if you don't love the setting or the characters the book is just a waste of time, your going to have the characters you love and the characters you hate and the characters you love to hate and the characters you hate to love but that what makes this book great there's a character that fits under every category.

Sally: The main character. I loved her as a character her passions, the way she grows through the book. She's just a young woman finding her way in the world and what I think Lucy Robinson has done brilliant with this character is you feel like you've known her forever.

Julian: His the character I hate to love and I am not sure if everyone who has read the book feels the same I think a lot of people will just love him. I love how nice he is and I love his story. I want to hate him quite a lot through the book but I can't help but love him. 

Fiona: I felt sorry for her to start off with but in the end I just loved to hate her. She really messes some things up and she is given so many opportunity's and just throws them away. I'm not going to say any more on her because I feel like I'm going to spoilt the book if you want to read it.

Barry: Barry is just another person I hate to love, His personality is great but his so rude but I can't help but love him. I can't say much more on him but he has to be one of my favourite characters in the book. 

Jan: Jan I hate. I know hate's a strong word but I do. I think a lot of people will disagree with me and say they love him but as much as I try I can't. Everyone in the book is in ore of him but he gets in the way of everything and I just don't like him.

Bea: I liked her at the beginning but at the end I just didn't I think she lied her a whole way through the book and you like her in till the end when everything makes sense.

Brian: Brian I loved. Brian was what Sally needed he isn't a massive character in the book but his a good guy. He really helps Sally and Brian has talent and his happy to help others achieve there hopes and dreams and what they are capable of. His doesn't have a big ego considering his successful. He is another one of my favourite characters in the book

Helen: I think Helen is like the forgotten character. I like her a lot she's a great best friend to Sally while Sally achieves her potential she's not mentioned a great deal compared to the other characters but she's a good person. 

Raúl: His a great guy. I feel like his put through a lot and doesn't deserve the things he goes through and he helps the group out a lot and his just a good guy.
That's basically all the main characters I mean there's other characters but these are the most common.

I loved this book the plot the setting everything I'm not going to ruin this book for you. I finished this book in 4 days and its got 486 pages. I couldn't put it down not a villa and not at the beach. I got burnt on my shoulders because I would lay outside to long in my bikini so into my book that time would fly by and before you know it it's dark outside. I didn't ever want the book to end. If I had known the book was going to be as good as it was I would of took another on holiday because the left me with 4 more days with reading books that weren't up my street on my mums kindle. I prefer a book to a kindle any day.

I recommend you by this book whether it's a hardback, kindle, ibooks anything by this book I enjoyed it loads and once I finished it I just wanted to read it again. Lucy Robinson is one talented author because I can get very bored of books very quickly but she made me want to keep reading. 

Lydia 
xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theatre Review 3: Bat Out Of Hell

Bat Out Of Hell Review I didn't have a huge knowledge of Meatloaf other than songs such as I Would Do Anything For Love, however when I made the decision to go again to this years West End Live and I got to see the cast, I knew that it was something I had to see. I was playing Meatloaf none stop and then we booked tickets for it. Best Night! The story follows the love story of Raven and Strat and the people they surround themselves with. It's a story of ups and downs and forbidden love. However, I won't give away the story line because it's something you have to see. Cast- Strat - Andrew Polec          Raven - Christina Bennington          Falco - Rob Fowler          Sloane- Sharon Sexton          Tink - Aran Macrae          Zahara- Danielle Steers          Jagwire- Dom Hartley-Harris          Ledoux- Giovanni Spano          Blake - Patrick Sullivan Rating - 9.8/10 Strat- The characters that carries this musical, he is an amazing lead and Andrew Pol

A Letter To 2016

Dear 2016,                            I will not lie this year has been a challenge for me personally and it was the beginning of a lot of changes in almost every aspect of my life, but it has really shaped me as a person and has defined myself to myself. Yet the people who have entered and left my life really stick out to me, because I think that really depicts me year.  I have learnt that building bridges and making up with people who you thought you had lost is important. I didn't lose anyone this year but I did a lot of looking back at people who voluntarily left my life and it showed me that I should appreciate those who are in my life, because one day they'll leave by no choice, and you should cherish everyone why they are still on this earth. I have also learn't that when I have previously placed the blame on someone else due to the lack of relationship but in order for a relationship to work it is a two way street and that I am also to blame. That's why to