Skip to main content

University is Not for Everyone

University is Not For Everyone

For almost a year now the joke has been Lydia didn't last a week at University. However, sometimes it still hurts, why? Because, the short time I was there was simply painful and distressing and coming home wasn't any easier. However, I knew what I wanted and where I didn't belong and that's what drew me back home. 

Why did I got to University in the first place?
I went to University because to me there was two options: know what you are going to do and pursue it through University or Apprenticeship, or don't know what you want to do and follow an interest to University. However, what happens when none of the above appear an option? I applied to University with the simple mind set of there is no harm in applying which I still feel is a good idea for everyone. So I applied and picked course I had an interest in. After applying I had convinced myself I had a plan, I convinced myself this is what I wanted and I convinced myself this is my next step. However, at the end of the day I didn't have a plan, I didn't know what I wanted, and I didn't know what my next step was. I found University's I liked the environment and liked the atmosphere. I had full support from everyone around me but there was one persons support I lacked, my own.

Did you leave because it was the easy option?
I'll give you a simple answer. It was not the easy option, coming back and trying to prove to everyone that I hadn't completely screwed up my life was an extremely hard point to make. It took me a month of being back to find a job, a job that gave me the ability to fund my life. Being back in my comfort zone that lacked my friends from school that had gone off the University was probably the hardest part. 

Does it mean you will never go to University again?
I am a massive fan of the saying never say never, in the next couple of years the answer is I don't see it happening. However, who knows where my life will lead and there may be a time in my life when I do turn round and say I want to go to University because I want to pursue x,y and z. The short stint at University made me, and is completely what is right for me now and when it happened. 

Do you think University is for everyone? 
I don't think it is, but I don't think it isn't. I don't think University if for every 18 year old on the planet. At 18 some people have figured out who the are exactly, but a lot of 18 year old's still don't have a clue. It's okay to not want to go to University, and it's okay to get there and come home. It's also okay to decide a few years down the line now I'm ready or am going to commit to it again. 

Did you find it hard coming home after such a short time?
I really cared to begin with what people thought, family and friends. I heard numerous stories of this is how person A felt at the beginning and now they love it. However, I quickly remembered I knew who I was, and if I hadn't known up until the point I got there, I was very sure I knew who I was and what I needed. I knew I couldn't see myself being happy there, and I put myself before anyone else's opinions and stayed true to myself. That's what you have to do when making a decision that primarily effects your life more than others, you put yourself first. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theatre Review 3: Bat Out Of Hell

Bat Out Of Hell Review I didn't have a huge knowledge of Meatloaf other than songs such as I Would Do Anything For Love, however when I made the decision to go again to this years West End Live and I got to see the cast, I knew that it was something I had to see. I was playing Meatloaf none stop and then we booked tickets for it. Best Night! The story follows the love story of Raven and Strat and the people they surround themselves with. It's a story of ups and downs and forbidden love. However, I won't give away the story line because it's something you have to see. Cast- Strat - Andrew Polec          Raven - Christina Bennington          Falco - Rob Fowler          Sloane- Sharon Sexton          Tink - Aran Macrae          Zahara- Danielle Steers          Jagwire- Dom Hartley-Harris          Ledoux- Giovanni Spano          Blake - Patrick Sullivan Rating - 9.8/10 Strat- The characters that carries this musical, he is an amazing lead and Andrew Pol

Book Review: One, The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me

Book Review: One I have decided to start doing book reviews as I would love to get back into reading again because as a kid I never could put a book down. Slowly as I started secondary school I began to think reading was "stupid" but I still love reading but I just don't read. I would like this to be a motivation to start reading again. Book Review Number One Name: The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me Author: Lucy Robinson Month Read: May Rating: 9/10 The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me by Lucy Robinson I ordered this book back before my holiday to Portugal in May it arrived a week before I was to leave. I was so excited to read it after reading the synopsis on Amazon that I couldn't wait a week to start reading it so I started immediately, I couldn't put the book down but I had to because otherwise I would of had nothing to read on holiday.  I arrived in Portugal and being the unsociable teenager I am was devastated to find out I

A Letter To 2016

Dear 2016,                            I will not lie this year has been a challenge for me personally and it was the beginning of a lot of changes in almost every aspect of my life, but it has really shaped me as a person and has defined myself to myself. Yet the people who have entered and left my life really stick out to me, because I think that really depicts me year.  I have learnt that building bridges and making up with people who you thought you had lost is important. I didn't lose anyone this year but I did a lot of looking back at people who voluntarily left my life and it showed me that I should appreciate those who are in my life, because one day they'll leave by no choice, and you should cherish everyone why they are still on this earth. I have also learn't that when I have previously placed the blame on someone else due to the lack of relationship but in order for a relationship to work it is a two way street and that I am also to blame. That's why to